Review: WARPs UP - Hali Gali

 

Review: WARPs UP - Hali Gali

WARPs debuted last year in December with the solid 'Rock Tonight', which wore its Jackson inspiration on its sleeve. After that, they went on a ridiculous hiatus, only to come back as WARPs UP with one member short in their line-up. I am not sure if this is supposed to be a subunit or a re-debut, but it is a solid track, and just like 'Tanhaai', it is the best track in its language (Chinese) in a while.

If 'Rock Tonight' showed heavy Michael Jackson influence, 'Hali Gali' is basically plagiarizing his work and adding a modern style.  The verses move forward at a solid speed. While they are not perfect, the verses are excellent. They also do not hide their Jackson-roots. They do not, however, hold together as well as Rock Tonight's near-perfect verses.

The chorus is nice. I feel that while I am glad they are pretty coherent together, I would not mind if there was a bit more melody and substance than there is.

Overall, I am just glad WARPs are back, and am curious where they go next.

Rating: 8.5/10

Also, that is one really good MV.


Image Source: Jpop Wiki

Comments

  1. Well the Japanese are good with pop songs. They absolutely amaze me in some way. Even though I don't like every single one. But props to WARPs UP, I love this. But I have to agree it sounds like MJ. Well the vocals fortunately aren't on par with Michael. So it doesn't sound that copy-pasted. We have the same score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out 'Rock Tonight' for more MJ style pop from WARPs! Oh and just something I learned, the member Rikimaru choreographed Taemin's Famous (another member was a background dancer)

      Delete
    2. Oh wow. Avex is still in touch with SM, well after the 2009 incidents which led to LSM resignation, well I hope for more collaborations.

      Delete
    3. I personally do not know the 2009 events (was not into east Asian music then, and am new to that era for J-Pop still), could you tell me what it is?

      Also, I would love to see AAA and TVXQ perform together, I can just hear the vocal harmonies.... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment