Review: Tulsi Kumar - Tanhaai

 

Review: Tulsi Kumar - Tanhaai

Sorry for the break guys, it has been a very busy last past few days for me. Here is to hoping that I can get a break to re-start writing reviews again.

Tulsi Kumar is the daughter of Gulshan Kumar (and sister of the current owner, Bhushan Kumar), founder of T-Series. Thus, it was only a matter of time before her music career shot into stardom. Despite this, I never really enjoyed any of her tracks, at least until 'Tanhaai' (Loneliness) came out.

If you asked me to count the Hindi tracks that got an eight or higher this year, I may be able to think of enough to possibly fill both hands. Thankfully, in underwhelming years, a good track hits even harder. I have been enjoying the slow rise of rock in solo Hindi tracks, yet Tanhaai feels like the breaking of a dam, a natural succession to Darshan Raval's 'Ek Tarfa'. While I liked it at first, it has slowly grown to be perhaps my favorite Hindi language original track this year. Sure, this is no Grammy equivalent difficulty, but this track is surprisingly great.

The verses go the slow build route, something like BDC's great 'Shoot the Moon'. The slowly intensifying is great, but only if tied to a successful drop. Tanhaai's drop is so bass on the specter that it threatens to derail the whole track. Thankfully, songwriters Sachet-Parampara had Tulsi ad-lib with her higher range during the drop. The end result is an effective and cohesive drop. I am so happy that this is repeated by a rock repetition.

The build in the second verse is much stronger than that in the first, so it is initially disappointing not to get the bass and just Tulsi's vocals. But you can tell that they will drop the track again after the bridge. The bridge is actually excellent, going for an orchestral arrangement. The final chorus has Tulsi sing over the guitar and bass, and it gives a 'tears on the dance floor' feel. Tanhaai came from a place where I had no expectations but has blown me away.

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: NDTV

Comments