Why You Should Listen To Johnny Cash


Why You Should Listen To Johnny Cash

Sorry for the break last week, stuff is crazy. Anyway, new series from me.


When it comes to my favorite genres that I have barely ever talked about on this blog, Country is quite high up there. And when it comes to my favorite Country artists, Johnny Cash is probably my favorite. Even if you don't care about country, Johnny Cash is a legend for many reasons.


What Makes Johnny Cash Unique?

Easily the first thing that one notices when hearing Johnny Cash is his deep baritone voice. Typically I am not a fan of baritones for whatever reason, but Cash might be one of my favorite vocalists ever. In a way, he is similar to fellow folk-country legend Bob Dylan in how his voice carries so much weight and pain. However, I always preferred the aged, pained delivery of Cash. Despite debuting at 22, Cash always performed like the weight of the world rested on his shoulders. This weary baritone is one of the key appeals of Cash. A great example of this (Ghost) Riders in the Sky, a cover of a classy country song.


What makes his songwriting unique?

Once again -- Johnny Cash's music carries a certain weariness that few other musicians could capture. Sometimes this would itself through songs about hardened criminals (Cocaine Blues), or political songs about the situation of America (Man in Black, Ragged Old Flag). In a way, his skills as a storyteller inspired so many future generations of artists. Check out Folsom Prison Blues for a good example.


Where Should I Start Listening To Him?

For albums, start with his live album, At Folsom Prison. It is a masterpiece of an album, and a must listen. After that, I'd hear American IV and American V, some of his last and best albums. His debut, Johnny Cash With His Hot and Blue Guitar! is a great example. 

For songs, start with his masterpiece Hurt, Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk The Line, Ghost Riders In The Sky, God's Gonna Cut You Down, Highwayman (as part of a supergroup).

Also, this video by The Beat Goes On is great to know Cash's story.



Image Source: Prabook

Comments