A Random Selection of Music Recommendations #1


A Random Selection of Music Recommendations #1

This is... a little different from what I normally do. A lot of the music I hear doesn't make it to a blog post, perhaps because it is a little too old, or doesn't fit with my normal post series. Any of these recommendations will come in this post series, from old and obscure classics to random indie songs I love.


Beabadoobee - Glue Song

Beabadoobee has been an American indie darling for quite a while, though I only entered her hype train this year with Glue Song, perhaps her biggest hit. I love the soothing melody, and Beabadoobee's poppy delivery is quite memorable, capturing an image of wistful, nostalgic, and young love. With the amount of charm coming from this little song, there was no chance I would not mention it sometime on this blog.


Boston - More Than A Feeling

I am quite unfamiliar with the band Boston, but More Than A Feeling is one of my favorite rock songs of the '70s, with a melodic edge that makes it instantly iconic. From the classic rock riffs, Tom Scholz's classic lyricism and beautiful melody writing, to Brad Delp's stunning harmonies, More Than A Feeling is a favorite for a reason.


EXO - Heart Attack

We all have a favorite deep cut for our favorite artists, and Heart Attack is EXO's for me. I loved it even before a DVR for their 2015 tour gave it a boost of popularity within the fandom. The sultry '90s R&B pop beat is classic boy band material at its finest, giving just enough room for EXO to showcase their skills as vocalists.


JYJ - Untitled Song Pt. 1

A hidden track off JYJ's first Korean studio album, In Heaven, Untitled Song Pt. 1 is an eight-minute rap reflection on the members of JYJ's treatment under their former agency SM, which they were in the middle of a lawsuit at the time of the song's recording. Many of the lines hit hard while revealing JYJ's reason for leaving with a level of depth previously unseen. Definitely one of the hidden gems resulting from the greater TVXQ discography that deserves more attention.


Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

While I have only heard their biggest hits, I am quite sure that Simon & Garfunkel may end up as one of my favorite artists of all time. The Boxer is probably my favorite song of theirs. Simon's skills as a storyteller are on full display here, weaving a beautiful tale of persistence and living in the midst of difficulty and destitution. The maximalist balladry that guides the production is a rarity for Simon & Garfunkel, and it is fantastic here. The churning guitars, the booming, echoing drums, the soaring strings, and the thundering brass riffs lead to one of the most hair-raising climaxes to any song, ever. What a song, what an experience. A few songs have everything I seek in a musical experience, The Boxer is one of them.


Image Source: Radio Capital

Comments