Review: Lucy - Snooze

 

Review: Lucy - Snooze

I keep a list of songs that I plan to review, and if I am honest, 'Snooze' was not on it. But slowly, this track has become an earworm, and another reason I am happy I usually give a few days before reviewing a track.

Lucy is a rookie artist whose career hinges on one gimmick, the fact that they have a violin in a band is something fresh and exciting. Despite this, their first two efforts middled across the road, not showing their immense potential or let leader Yechan showcase what a violin can do in a soft rock band.

After 'Flowering' the house and 'Jogging' around dully, Lucy release 'Snooze', and boy is the song better than the title. The verses basically follow the vocalists building to the chorus. While it may not be the best build ever in music, it works quite well. The pre-chorus is when the track (lyrically and production-wise) begins to take off. While I love the refrain, I just wish it was in Korean, as it would have made it feel more authentic (do not speak in English just for the western market, we just want good music).

The chorus is literally the glue of the track. After the "We just want to play with you" refrain, we are spirited into a soft, Spring-like, synth-rock section. It builds slowly, with the support of member Sangyeob's vocals, while letting the violin build. Finally, Yechan lets the violin do the speaking, at this odd-ball chorus shows off its potential quite strong-ly. The whole chorus is the heart of the track. The song also gives a solo section for Yechan to show his skills (and he sprinkles them through the second verse). If they keep this up, they may become one of my favorite active Indie bands.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Kpop Wiki

Oops, I initially miswrote the title, sorry.

Comments

  1. Lucy is a great group! I was impressed by their use of violins in rock. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, if they keep this up, they will live up to their potential :)

      Delete

Post a Comment